The Tunisian man suspected of carrying out the deadly Berlin truck attack was shot dead by police in Milan Friday, Italy’s interior minister Marco Minniti said.
The minister told a press conference in Rome that Anis Amri had been fatally shot after firing at police who had stopped his car for a routine identity check around 3am (0200 GMT). Identity checks had established “without a shadow of doubt” that the dead man was Amri, the minister said.
According to the reports, the suspect, Anis Amri, was stopped in his car around 3am for what was a routine identity check. He pulled out a pistol and shootout ensued in which he was shot.
Amri had been missing since escaping after Monday’s attack which left 12 people dead.
He had links to Italy, having arrived in the country from his native Tunisia in 2011.
Shortly after his arrival he was sentenced to a prison term for starting a fire in a refugee centre.
He was released in 2015 and made his way to Germany.