Eye exercise are designed to strengthen your eye muscles, help you focus, ease eye movements, and stimulate your brain’s vision center. As you do them and progress to new ones, you’ll learn how to control your eye muscles and see properly.
What you do will be unique for you, based on your age and other eye problems . These exercise include:
1. Strengthen your eyes’ near and far focusing. This exercise will strengthen the muscles in your eyes and help you maintain your current vision level.
* Sit in a chair or stand in front of a blank wall. Place your thumb about 10 inches in front of your face and focus on it. You can also focus on an object that is five to 10 feet away for 10–15 seconds.
* Then, focus on an object that is 10–20 feet in front of you without moving your head. Focus on the object for 10–15 seconds.
* After 10–15 seconds, refocus on your thumb. Practice this five times.
2. Practice zooming with your eyes. This is a good eye focusing exercise, as you have to constantly adjust how well you can focus on an object from certain distances.
* Sit in a comfortable position.
* Stretch out your arm with your thumb in the hitchhiking position (thumbs up).
* Focus on your thumb. Then, bring the thumb closer to you, focusing until your thumb is about 3 inches in front of your face.
* Move your thumb away again until your arm is fully outstretched.
* Repeat this exercise three more times, once a week.
* You can also practice this exercise by holding a pencil in front of you at arm’s length. Then, move your arm slowly to your nose. Follow the pencil with your eyes until you can’t focus on it any longer.
3. Make a figure eight with your eyes. This is a great exercise to practice controlling the physical movement of your eyes.
* Imagine a giant figure eight on the floor, about 10 feet in front of you.
* Trace the figure eight with your eyes, slowly.
* Trace it one way for a few minutes and then trace it the other way for a few minutes.
4. Do directional eye exercises. Moving your eyes in different directions is a good way to exercise your eyes.
* Stand or sit upright. Look straight ahead. Without moving your head, look to the left. Focus on what you see. Then look right. Move your eyes side to side five times. Repeat this three times.
* Without moving your head, look down. Focus on what you see. Then, look up. Focus on what you see. Repeat this three times.
* Without moving your head, look straight ahead. Then, look down and to the left. Focus on what you see. Then, move your eyes diagonally and look up and to the right. Focus on what you see. Repeat this exercise five times. Then, look straight ahead and do the same exercise looking down and to the right and then looking up and to the left. Repeat this cycle three times.