Plantain is a produce of a plantcalled monocot, not really a tree. Commercial propagation of plantain trees is done from either corm pieces from the base of mature trees or from suckers which sprout from around the base of the tree.
Plantains are a type of banana common in tropical regions. Starchier and less sweet than bananas, plantains are usually served steamed, boiled or fried.
1. Plantain relatively has more calories weight for weight than that in the table bananas. 100 g plantain holds about 122 calories, while dessert banana has only 89 calories. Indeed, they are very reliable sources of starch and energy.
2. Fresh plátanos have more vitamin-C than bananas. 100 g provide 18.4 mg or 31% of daily required levels of this vitamin.
3. Plantains carry more vitamin A than bananas. 100 g fresh ripe plantains contain 1127 IU or 37.5% of daily required levels of this vitamin.
4. It contains 2.3 g of dietary fiber per 100 g (6% of DRA per 100 g). The adequate amount of dietary fiber in the food helps regular bowel movements, thereby reducing constipation problems.
5. Fresh plantains have more potassium than bananas. 100 g fruit provides 499 mg of potassium (358 mg per 100 g for bananas ).
6.plantain also provide adequate levels of minerals such as iron, magnesium, and phosphorous. Magnesium is essential for bone strengthening and has a cardiac-protective role as well.