The tomato is the edible, often red when ripe, from the plant Solanum lycopersicum, commonly known as a tomato plant. The plant is packed along with great Nutrients Its nutritional content supports healthful skin, weight loss, and heart heal
1. The eyes health
Tomatoes are a rich source of lycopene, lutein, and beta-carotene. These are powerful antioxidants that have been shown to protect the eyes against light-induced damage, the development of cataracts , and age-related macular degeneration
Eating foods that are high in water content and fiber, such as tomatoes, may help hydration and support normal bowel movements. Tomatoes are often described as a laxative fruit.
3. Helps in food digestion
Tomatoes keep the digestive system healthy by preventing both constipation and diarrhea .
4. Protect the Heart
The lycopene in tomatoes prevents serum lipid oxidation, thus exerting a protective effect against cardiovascular diseases . The fiber, potassium, vitamin C, and choline content in tomatoes all support heart health.
Maintaining a low sodium intake helps to maintain healthful blood pressure. However, increasing potassium intake may be just as important due to its widening effects on the arteries.
Facts about tomatoes
1. Tomatoes rapidly lose their Vitamin C if sunlight can reach them while they are stored.
2. Refrigeration decreases flavor and quality of tomatoes.
3. 94.5% of tomato’s weight is water.
4. Tomatoes can keep longer if you store them with their stem down.
5. It is speculated that there is over 25 thousand tomato varieties.
6. Tomatoe plant is called Solanum lycopersicum.